Located on the island that bears its name, Isle of Hope PK-8 School serves as a neighborhood school. The Isle of Hope community had its beginnings in the early 1700's, when the island was divided into three sections by the King of England. Plantations such as the historic Wormsloe site were developed, and as the population grew the need for a school on the island became evident.
A one-room wooden schoolhouse was constructed in 1899-1900 for one teacher and seven grades. In 1912, the building was replaced by a two-room clapboard structure, which served as the school until World War II. A four-room cement block building was erected in 1950. This new building housed three teachers and six grades. Each teacher taught from forty-five to fifty students.
In the 1956-57 school year, a new brick school was opened. It consisted of fourteen rooms making up two wings, and the third and fourth wings were added later.
In 2013-15, Isle of Hope School temporarily relocated to the corner of Derenne and Montgomery while a brand new facility was built. This new school was completed in 2015 and is bringing many future generations of Fiddlers into the 21st century. The Isle of Hope community continues to grow today in a mixture of older and modern homes, as well as restored historic homes. School and education remain important to the residents of the island and the surrounding community, who continue to enjoy its beauty and character.
In keeping with its strong foundation, the mission of Isle of Hope PK-8 School is to ignite a passion for learning and teaching at high levels.